Parks Maintenance Associate III – Tree Crew
Job ID#: PR042020-200914
Job Type: Full Time
Department: Parks & Recreation
Position Type: Open Position
Salary Range Number:
Salary Range: Bi-weekly $1,236.60-$1,881.63
Application Deadline: Sep 28, 2020
This position provides experienced, expert level maintenance of city parks and facilities. An incumbent in this position may be designated “Parks Maintenance Team leader.”
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ability to interact with supervisors, staff, vendors and the public; consistently complete assigned work and prioritize projects to meet deadlines.
- Incumbent will provide experienced skill, coaching and leadership in large tree trimming, care, and/or removal; trimming and care of bushes and ornamental plants; operating large equipment such as backhoe, sod cutter, top dresser, tractor, etc
- Will problem solve and engage necessary staff/supervisors to address emerging equipment issues.
- Will demonstrate initiative and ability to work with minimum direction/monitoring.
- Requires a high school diploma or equivalent, with additional trade school or specialty training/certification in parks maintenance disciplines (i.e. grounds maintenance, turf maintenance, horticulture, arborist, etc.) is preferred.
- Five or more years of directly related experience within the department
- Requires equipment operating experience and skills with use of chain saw, backhoe, dump trucks, etc.; roping skills also required (heavy weight roping and rigging).
- Must live within 10 miles of Decatur City limits in order to meet on call and response requirements for addressing bush, ornamental plans, and/or tree maintenance and/or removal.
- Current class B CDL required upon hire or ability to obtain within 6 months of hire
- Knowledge of parks and grounds maintenance principles and practices.
- Knowledge of athletic field maintenance principles.
- Knowledge of turf management principles.
- Skill in the use of hand and power tools.
- Skill in the use of a variety of grounds maintenance tools and equipment.
- Skill in problem solving.
- Skill in interpersonal relations.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
Employment Applications are available on our website at www.decaturalabamausa.com, or from the Human Resources Department at City Hall-2nd Floor Tower, 402 Lee St NE, Decatur, AL 35602.
Completed employment application, with current resume (if available), must be returned to the City of Decatur Human Resources Department by the posting closing date. May be delivered in person or:
Mailed to: P. O. Box 1984, Decatur, AL 35602
Emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Faxed to: (256) 341-4895
The Human Resources Department may be contacted at (256) 341-4890.
Due to the volume of responses received, we will not be able to provide a status of consideration. Candidates who have been selected for the next step in the review process will be notified.
The City of Decatur is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin or disability.