Job ID#: FR022001-200515
Classification: Exempt Service Position
Job Type: Full Time
Department: Fire & Rescue
Position Type: Open Position
Salary Range Number:
Salary Range: Bi-weekly $3,320-$5,052 --OR-- Annual $86,329-$131,359
Application Deadline: Jun 1, 2020
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Fire Chief provides administrative direction and leadership for all Fire & Rescue Department functions
***Candidates that applied during the previous posting period 12/18/19 – 1/20/20 will remain under consideration and do not need to re-apply***
- Baccalaureate degree in a course of study related to the occupational field.
- Master’s degree in Emergency Management, Public Safety or other related discipline highly desirable.
- Requires >3 years of service in a Battalion Chief and/or Division Chief capacity in a municipal government agency. Prior fire prevention, suppression and investigation standards, practices strategies, tactics and apparatus experience required.
- Must be knowledge of National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA) standards; Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA) standards; local, state and federal fire codes; local ordinances and departmental rules and regulations. Prior experience in management of non-transport ALS/EMS helpful.
- Must have ability to meet current requirements set forth by the Alabama Fire College and Personnel Standards Commission, including but not limited to State of Alabama Firefighter I and II, Fire Officer I, II, III, and IV, Fire Instructor I and II, Hazardous Materials Technician, *Emergency Medical Technician certifications, and the maintenance thereof, or equivalent certifications from other states. AFC issued Special Certification for Fire Chief may be accepted based on reciprocation processes.
- Certified in National Incident Command (NIMS) including NIMS 700, 800, 100-400 series ICS; and must possess or obtain and maintain EMS certification as NREMT Emergency Medical Technician Basic, Advanced EMT, Intermediate EMT or Paramedic (preferred)
- Valid driver’s license required
- Requires residency within the City of Decatur as per Resolution 00-325, adopted 10/23/2000
Employment Applications are available on our website at www.decaturalabamausa.com, or from the Human Resources Department at City Hall-2nd Floor Tower, 402 Lee St NE, Decatur, AL 35602.
Completed employment application, with current resume (if available), must be returned to the City of Decatur Human Resources Department by the posting closing date. May be delivered in person or:
Mailed to: P. O. Box 1984, Decatur, AL 35602
Emailed to: email@example.com
Faxed to: (256) 341-4895
The Human Resources Department may be contacted at (256) 341-4890.
Due to the volume of responses received, we will not be able to provide a status of consideration. Candidates who have been selected for the next step in the review process will be notified.