Q: How many and what kind of carts should I have at my residence?
A: When our automated system was put in place years ago, residents were initially issued one gray cart for household garbage and if needed, one green cart for yard waste to be collected separately. Since Decatur no longer separates green waste and household garbage at collection points, residents may mix all waste together in gray or green carts provided by the City, regardless of cart labels. You are encouraged to continue to use your carts for small yard debris rather than pile it up for loader truck service, as this will expedite collection. If more than 2 carts per household is needed, an extra cart will be provided at an extra monthly cost as long as the Solid Waste Department has sufficient stock. If you have more carts than you need, please call for the extra ones to be picked up. (NOTE: Roll-out carts from the Recycling Department are brown and are serviced only at the street.)
Other information about city-assigned solid waste carts:
- Record the serial number of each cart for future reference. If one comes up missing, you may be able to find it without much effort.
- Please follow the law and bag your household garbage. Bagged garbage inside cart means cleaner cart and surroundings, less chance of litter.
- Call for extra cart if you have frequent excess garbage.
- Keep cart lids closed with no protruding items.
- Keep carts away from buildings, fences, mailboxes, utility poles, etc. when you put them out for service.
- Never over-pack your carts.
- Never sit, climb or stand on carts.
- Never place paints, solvents, flammable or other types of liquids, ashes, dead animals, oils or medical waste in carts.
- Never fill carts with building materials such as lumber, dirt, concrete or rocks.