Certificate of Occupancy

Contact Personnel:
(256) 341-4570

A Certificate of Occupancy (commonly called “CO” or “C of O”) application is available in the Building Department and from the Documents Downloads page. A completed and signed CO application is needed when:

  • A Certificate of Occupancy is required for business license issuance by the Revenue Department.
  • A Certificate of Occupancy is needed for the re-occupancy of existing buildings.
  • A Certificate of Occupancy is required for a change of ownership.
  • Decatur Utilities requires an issued Certificate of Occupancy for the establishment of new accounts.

A final building inspection is required before a Certificate of Occupancy is issued. A Certificate of Occupancy will be granted on all new construction after the final building inspection has passed and a final survey is submitted to the Building Department.

Before a Certificate of Occupancy can be issued to a food service facility, the food service facility must meet the requirements of Decatur Utilities regarding grease interceptor design and installation. These requirements can be downloaded here and from Document Downloads: Grease Interceptor Requirements and Sizing Calculation Sheet The definition of food service facilities includes, but is not limited to, any restaurant, eatery, food caterer, cafeteria, grocery store, service station, convenience store, manufacturing facility, sandwich shop, or institution which cuts, cooks, bakes, prepares, serves or makes available for consumption any food products by any prescribed method, or which disposes of food-related wastes.

Reference: Section 25-7, Code of Decatur