Holiday Season Safety Reminders
Dec 4, 2017
The lights are strung and the tree is decorated. The holidays have officially arrived.
As you’re getting ready for gatherings with friends and family, keep these reminders from the Decatur Police Department handy:
- Stay on the nice list. Put your phone away while driving. Even if you’re running late, keep your phone in your pocket or purse until you can park in a safe location to respond to calls and texts. If you’re traveling to an unfamiliar location, always program your navigation app or GPS before you start driving. Almost 25 percent of car crashes are a result of distracted driving.
- Bringing gifts with you? Store them in the trunk. Shopping bags and wrapped presents in the back seat are a target for theft. Be sure to think ahead when loading your vehicle.
- If you plan on drinking, hand over the keys to the sleigh. If you’re attending a party that’s serving alcohol over the holiday season, have a designated driver arranged before you arrive. Nothing takes the merry out of the Christmas season like paying for a DUI.
- Hosting a party? Keep an eye on the festivities. Stop serving alcoholic beverages well before the gathering ends. Ensure everyone has a designated driver or a safe way to get home – through services like Uber or Lyft. To curb the risk of guests consuming too much alcohol, schedule get-togethers for earlier in the afternoon.
- Make safety the first item on your holiday to-do list. When running errands, make sure to go with a group or in pairs. Try to shop only during daylight hours. Never carry large bills on your person. Always have your keys in hand when approaching your vehicle. Avoid putting packages, purses, or wallets on top of your vehicle or on the pavement while you’re loading your car.