We're working for you.

These areas report to your Street & Environmental Services Director.


Recycling Manager:
Emily Johnson

625 Landfill Drive
Trinity, AL 35673

Department Phone No:
(256) 341-4770 or 341-4772
Department Fax No:
(256) 341-4735

The Recycling Department is open from 6:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Tuesday through Friday. The office is located at the Morgan County Landfill, 625 Landfill Drive.

The Recycling Department has the responsibility of overseeing all recycling programs and household chemical collection in the City of Decatur.

Residents with question or problems with collections should call (256) 341-4770 or (256) 341-4772.
New residents requesting a recycling cart, or for replacement carts, call 341-4770.

Emily Johnson (256) 341-4770.

Recycle all newspapers and inserts. NOT ACCEPTABLE: brown paper bags.

Recycle all magazines printed on slick, glossy paper, any type of directories or publications printed on newsprint or other dull paper, such as comic books. Please remove all paper or plastic wrappers from your magazines.

Do Not Recycle
Hardback or Paperback Books

Office Paper & Bulk Mail
Recycle all letters, envelopes, fliers, brochures, bulk mail, computer paper, school paper and construction paper. NOT ACCEPTABLE: Paper bags, wrapping paper, hard bound books.

Paperboard Boxes
Flatten and place in recycling cart all paperboard boxes such as cereal boxes, shoe boxes, cracker boxes, snack boxes, rice boxes and cake mix boxes. NOT ACCEPTABLE: Waxed paper, plastic wrap or packaging inside or outside of box is not taken.

Corrugated Cardboard
Corrugated cardboard can be recycled, but it must be flattened and cut to fit inside the recycling cart.

Aluminum and steel cans including EMPTY aerosol cans are acceptable. Please rinse. EMPTY aerosol cans that have contained household products such as shaving cream, hair spray or air freshener are acceptable. Please remove lids. NOT ACCEPTABLE: Aerosol cans that are not empty or that have contained pesticides, herbicides or paint. Do not recycle scrap metal, paint cans, automotive product cans, aluminum foil, or disposable aluminum plates or pie tins.

Plastic Bottles
Please recycle all narrow neck plastic bottles that have a #1 or #2 on the bottom, such as milk jugs, soft drink bottles, laundry products, and shampoo. Rinse and remove the lids and pumps. Containers may be crushed to conserve space. NOT ACCEPTABLE: Motor oil containers, pesticide or herbicide containers, plastic wrap, plastic bags, wide-mouth plastic containers such as yogurt and margarine tubs.


Recycling Schedule

  • Your cart will be picked up every other week on the same day that your garbage is collected.
  • Recycling carts must be set out before 7:00 A.M. on your appointed day.
  • Recycling carts will be picked up on the street. Please place at least 3 feet from your garbage and yard carts.
    • If you have a gravel alley, you will need to place your cart on the curb at the street.
    • If you live where there is a concrete alley, such as those found at townhouses, your cart will be picked up there.

Special Recycling Programs
Watch for details about special recycling efforts including:

Household Chemical Collection
Held the second Saturday, every month 9 am - noon at the Street & Environmental Services Complex, 1802 Central Pkwy. We take household dry-cell batteries, used motor oil, paint, household cleaners, gasoline, kerosene, oil, filled aerosol cans, pool chemicals, fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides.
Phone Books - March
Canned Food Collection - November

Household Dry-Cell Batteries
Please bring all household dry-cell batteries such as those used in cameras, watches, toys, flashlights, radios, smoke detectors to the Household Chemical Collection drop off (see above). We also accept at the Household Chemical Collection lead-acid batteries, such as those used in automobiles, motorcycles, lawnmowers or boats.

Used Motor Oil
Recycle engine oil from your vehicles and lawnmowers, motor oil that has been mixed with any other liquids, antifreeze, transmission fluid, and brake fluid. Bring containers to the Household Chemical Collection drop off (see above). Please mark each container clearly with type of contents.

Did you know that the grass clippings, leaves, limbs and wood waste that you set out for collection are taken to the Morgan County Landfill composting site where they are recycled into three products: mulch, compost and wood chips? They are available at the landfill year round to residents, for free if you shovel it yourself. Please help keep these products clean by not mixing metals, plastics, bags, rocks or any trash with your yard trimmings. Call the Landfill at (256) 341-4990 for details.