Human Resources Director
Department Phone No:
Department Fax No:
The Human Resources Department is located on the second floor of the City Hall Tower Building. Office hours are from 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M., Monday through Friday.
- To act in an advisory capacity to the Governing Body on all matters concerning personnel administration
- To administer and enforce the Merit System Rules
- To administer the following employment and promotional procedures:
- Recruitment and advertising
- Application approval
- Written examination and oral interview provisions
- Establish eligible employment and promotional registers
- Certification of eligible applicant(s) to appointing authorities for selection
- Conduct applicant background investigations
- Administer the physical examination/drug screen provisions
- Conduct employee orientations
- Conduct exit interviews for employees terminating employment
- To approve all salary increases
- To administer a system for employees to protest and appeal disciplinary action and the grievance procedure
- To administer the requirements of the Fair Labor Standards Act
- For the maintenance of the following records:
- Personnel Board Minutes
- Employee rosters
- All records related to employment application
- A personnel file on each employee
- Attendance and leave records of all employees
- To administer the Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Programs and related matters
- To administer the Employee Fringe Benefits Programs to include the Retirement Plan, the Workmenís Compensation Program, the Group Medical/Dental and Life Insurance Programs, unemployment, FMLA, etc.
- To review and approve payrolls
- To establish and administer a performance evaluation system
- To administer the Drug/Alcohol Program
- To perform such other activities with reference to personnel administration not inconsistent with the Law, as required by the Merit System Rules, or as may be deemed necessary or desirable for effective personnel administration
The Merit System Rules
This is a set of rules and regulations which were originally established by City Ordinance in 1960, and are currently governed by Act No. 324 of the Alabama Legislature, (Regular Session, 1965). These rules and regulations specifically govern the recruitment and employment procedures, the working conditions and personnel practices, the procedures for separations and disciplinary action, the rights of review and appeal, and the prohibitions on political activity for all classified employees of the City of Decatur, Alabama.
All persons seeking employment with the City of Decatur are required to file a completed employment application and current resume for the specific position desired with the Human Resources Department located on the second floor of the City Hall Tower Building. The office hours are from 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M., Monday through Friday; except holidays.
Note: Persons seeking temporary seasonal employment with the Parks and Recreation and Point Mallard Departments must make application through these departments.
The Personnel Board consists of five (5) members appointed by the City Council. The primary functions of the Board are to advise the governing body of the City of Decatur on matters of personnel administration and to administer all provisions of the Act and the Merit System Rules. The Personnel Board meets the fourth Thursday of each month at 8:30 A.M. Meetings are called as needed. Each member is appointed to a five-year term.
January 1, 2016
Harold Gilmore, Chairman
Troy Butler, Vice Chairman
Taylor Byrd, Jr., Board Member
Darius Crayton, Board Member
Pam Werstler, Board Member